Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chelsea Sign Benayoun

 
(posted by Roku)
Chelsea have announced the capture of Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee believed to be between £5 million and £6 million.

The 30-year old has been linked with a switch to the Premier League champions all summer as a replacement for the out of contract Joe Cole and will join his new team-mates for pre-season training on July 5. The move brings to an end the Israel international's three year stay on Merseyside, where he grabbed 18 goals in 92 appearances. Speaking to the Blues' official website, Benayoun said: "I am very excited to come to a club like Chelsea, it is a big club and I think it is a dream for every player. Hopefully we will be successful."
Manager Carlo Ancelotti added: "We are happy to have this new player. Yossi has a lot of quality in midfield and can play in lots of positions. I like his behaviour on the pitch and he will do a great job for us next season." A spokesman on Liverpool's official website wished Benayoun all the best for the future. They said: "Yossi's departure was agreed between the player and Rafael Benitez a number of weeks ago. Everybody at Liverpool FC wishes him well for the future." 

The Israeli international will link up with his new team-mates on Monday when pre-season training gets underway and he admits he can't wait.

"Everything looks lovely. It is a great training ground and you can see it is one of the best clubs in the world from the way the people here treat you," he told Chelsea's official website.
"I met a few of the staff and the players I know a little bit from playing. It is a good challenge for me and I am ready for it.

"There are a lot of good players, big players. For me it is the beginning and I have to work hard and prove I can bring something to this club.

"The only thing I can promise is I will work hard and do my best, and hopefully it will be good enough."

Benayoun's last appearance for Liverpool at Anfield was against Chelsea in May where the Blues won 2-0, something which lingers in his memory.

"The last home game I knew it would be my last for Liverpool," Benayoun added.

"I tried to do my best but Chelsea were strong. All the years here in England, five years, Chelsea were always a difficult side to play against with big players and that's why they are always there at the top, fighting for trophies - that's why I am glad to be a part of it now."

The Israeli conceded that there were many offers for him on the table to consider, but his choice was straightforward and he is happy to have signed a three-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

"I had offers from a few teams, but when Chelsea came in for me it was the obvious and only thing to think about, and I am glad it came out in the end," he added.

"I leave a great club at Liverpool and I had a great time there, so I am very grateful for them also."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment